cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Color-coding, was Re: Getting to Version 3.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Color-coding, was Re: Getting to Version 3.0
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:10:26 -0400

On Thu, 2006-18-05 at 14:13 +0000, Terry Hancock wrote:
Regarding the section on disambiguating licenses, ever since that guy asked
about license buttons for non-free EULA-type licenses, I'v been thinking
that
some kind of color-coding scheme would be extremely helpful, both for
clarity
and as a marketing tool, e.g.:
I think that there are some alternatives that would be more useful, actually. I think that using logos or "compatibility notices" from known good organizations such as the Open Source Institute, Debian, and the Free Software Foundation would be a great way to distinguish Free licenses from less-than-free ones.

I've written up an essay on the subject in my blog, which see:
http://evan.prodromou.name/CC_Licence_Distinctions
I think the main downside to this plan is that there will have to be some careful management of the appearance of "endorsement" versus just "review". The FSF, for example, calls the 2.0 Attribution and Attribution-ShareAlike licenses "free", but it recommends against their use because Creative Commons doesn't distinguish it from other licenses. Ironically, it's unclear whether they'd be friendly to the use of their name to make that distinction.

~Evan

Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
http://evan.prodromou.name/