cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] using differently licensed media in a wiki (or other web page)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "James Sweet" <james AT educationarchitects.com>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] using differently licensed media in a wiki (or other web page)
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 13:38:14 -0500

I’m wondering whether it is possible to incorporate media with different types of licenses in a wiki or other web page? For example, could one use a photograph licensed by-nc-sa in a wiki licensed by-sa as long as the photograph is not altered. (Would resizing count as altering?) Provided that the photograph is properly attributed and the use in question is allowed, I don’t see how this would violate the nc provision because anyone reading the wiki would be able to see clearly that the original work may not be used for commercial purposes, even though the text from the wiki could be so used.

I found a post in the archives about distributing differently licensed media together being acceptable, as long as they are not combined. I think this is very similar to the wiki context, but I’m not sure how much consensus there is around that view. Any clarification would be most appreciated.

  • [cc-licenses] using differently licensed media in a wiki (or other web page), James Sweet, 05/14/2006