cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Can a by-NC-sa use material from a by-sa? Seems no

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Can a by-NC-sa use material from a by-sa? Seems no
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 07:00:17 +0000

robinp AT xtra.co.nz wrote:

Thank you, Mia. Spot-on. Clearly by-sa is one of the five licenses that is
incompatible with all others.

But I wonder why material available for commercial use should not be copied
to a place where it isn't.

Never mind - I'll pass the info on to the owner who is thinking of adopting by-nc-sa.
Perhaps he will have second thoughts. I've seen opinions that suggest "NC"
has problems.

Because if you re-release a work from By-SA to By-NC-SA, you would not
be "sharing alike". You'd be violating the copyleft to release the work
under a more restrictive license.

It's exactly the same reason you can't appropriate a copyleft work and
release it under a full proprietary "all rights reserved" license.

Mind you, you can distribute the two works together, as long as they aren't
combined into one work (i.e. they remain separable).

Cheers,
Terry