cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] FDL Revision Draft in July?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jaroslaw Lipszyc <jl AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] FDL Revision Draft in July?
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 23:28:53 +0200

rob AT robmyers.org wrote:

Depending on how well the FSF remove^D^D address invariant sections this could
be a good thing for BY-SA/FDL compatibility.

I've spent some time talking with Benjamin Mako Hill, who saw early drafts of GFDL revision, and for now answer is "no", new GFDL will be not compatible with BY-SA.
Removing invariat sections is good, but this will not make licenses compatible. There was a heated discussion on cc lists on this topic, with ideas to make CC BY-SA one way compatible with GFDL.
The only long-term solution for the problem of compatibility is license MERGE. I do not see this coming, thought.
greetings
Jaroslaw Lipszyc