cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] newbie question on Creative Common License:Licensor Warranty of Rights Ownership?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "DeepNet" <dan AT deepnettech.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] newbie question on Creative Common License:Licensor Warranty of Rights Ownership?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:35:23 -0500

On further inspection of the older CC licenses, I've
found that the 1.0 Attribution (only) License seems
perfect for my needs (no changes/addendums required).

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/

- Attribution is fine, and in fact I want to attribute the contributors.
- Licensor warrants Works are valid to submit. This is critical to me.
- No share-alike clauses, which I do not want on my Derived Works.

It even solves another problem I found on closer inspection
of the 2.5 CC licenses, in that the clause 8.g assigns the
jurisdiction of issues to the location of the Licensor, which is
not what I want... I want it to be the jurisdiction of the
Licensee (me), in my odd case. I see that 1.0 CC licenses
simply do not have jurisdiction notices, which is fine then.

I won't ask why the 2.5 licenses have steered away from the
direction so clearly... I'm sure there's a lot of politic involved!
But the 1.0 licenses are just fine for me.

I am including the full text of the license, not just a link, in my product,
on the assumption that since the license itself is
covered by the 1.0 Attribution license.

Thanks,

Dan Pronovost
dan AT deepnettech.com