cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] [Cc-icommons] use of CC Deed icons in copyright statements

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Alek Tarkowski <alek.tarkowski AT creativecommons.pl>
  • Cc: cc-icommons AT lists.ibiblio.org, cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] [Cc-icommons] use of CC Deed icons in copyright statements
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:43:45 -0800

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 21:46 +0100, Alek Tarkowski wrote:
> So I've been thinking about possible solutions and I remember reading on
> the cc-licenses list that an abbreviation might be acceptable: for
> instance CC BY-NC-SA 2.5. That does save space, especially in languages
> like mine, where words are long.
>
> But a friend of mine has suggested the use of the four deed icons
> instead of words - the way MozCC does that for webpages.

>From my totally uninformed perspective the key is that a license notice
be unambiguous. CC BY-NC-SA 2.5 or CC BY-NC-SA 2.5 PL are. MozCC
allows you to see the unambiguous license reference with one click. A
newspaper could include a key describing the icons elsewhere.

Tangentially future license buttons may include license property icons
or BY/NC/ND/SA equivalents for each license and I do want to get rid of
untranslatable graphics apart from the CC logo on future deeds, as
several have mentioned in this thread.

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21