cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] famous quotations

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] famous quotations
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 20:42:42 +0000
On 19 Feb 2006, at 20:28, Peter Brink wrote:

That just any set of aggregated data is protected by "copyright" in the
EC is unfortunately a common misconception.

I think the OP meant the collective work copyright, as used by public domain clip art publishers, rather than the database right.

The database right sucks utterly, and an EU study showed that it has damaged the database market compared to the rest of the world. But we won't get of it of course, because otherwise the market would suffer. Anyone who can reconcile the last two sentences has a promising career awaiting them as an EU bureaucrat. :-)

Attribution is mandatory in most of the world, regardless of license or
"PD".

...due to the moral right of paternity from the Berne convention. The USA is the only country that really ignores this.

You can waive attribution (and the integrity right) in some jurisdictions (for example the UK and Canada), but in other countries it is inalienable (for example Germany and France IIRC).

- Rob.