cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] CC Licenses for Custom Gaming Content

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong AT pobox.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: cc-community AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] CC Licenses for Custom Gaming Content
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:29:09 -0500

Hi all -

Apologies for the crosspost. I searched the archives but didn't really come across what I was looking for.

I've been involved, off and on, in a community that creates custom content for Bioware's Neverwinter Nights game[1]. A few years ago, I looked at the plausibility of CC licensing the content people created and encouraging them to do so. Then after discussing it with Bioware, I found out it essentially violated their EULA.

Now, I think I see a loophole - CC licensing the raw MP3s for the soundtrack/sound effects/music, the JPGs used for cutscenes and model textures, and the textual content like dialog, backstory etc. The only issue we run into there is using Wizards of the Coast[2] copyrighted information and in some cases, details already covered under the d20 license[3].

The one thing I am not sure about is the 3ds model plus JPG texture. How do we license that? Has anyone checked whether 3ds files can be cc licensed along with their JPG textures? Should we just license our 2d concept image JPGs of the 3d models?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong AT pobox.com

http://www.wkdelong.org Son.
http://www.haloworldwide.com Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org Volunteer.
http://www.brain-stream.com Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org Potter.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5 A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org

  • [cc-licenses] CC Licenses for Custom Gaming Content, B.K. DeLong, 01/26/2006