cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] How to license a non-cc song to a video?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] How to license a non-cc song to a video?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:05:52 -0800

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 09:55 +0100, faskine AT web.de wrote:
> The band wants to keep as much rights as possible on that song, but is
> willing to allow me to use the song for non-commercial use in my video.
>
> I will ask them to release that song under the "Attribution Non-commercial
> No Derivatives (by-nc-nd)" license, but I think the band is not willing to
> do that.

by-nc-nd wouldn't suffice for your use anyway, as you're making a
derivative work. See
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/legalcode

synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving
image ("synching") will be considered a Derivative Work for the
purpose of this License.

You'd need by-nc-sa, by-nc, by, or pd.

> So which kind of contract/statement do I need from the band to be able to
> publish the video under CC (by-nc-nd)?

I guess you need an agreement with them that allows you to do just that.
I am not a lawyer, you may wish to consult one.

> Many greetings, CC rocks! I use it for all my own works,

Thanks!

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21