cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - NonCommercial Guidelines

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - NonCommercial Guidelines
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:18:42 -0500

First let me say that the supplied pdf was very informative and educational.

Would it be possible, when this is all finished shaking out, to include some
(all) of this in the license itslef to that those choosing NC will be bound
to that interpretation?

The first thing that was a new thought to me and I don't know how I missed it
before if it was floating around is that the nature of the user matters. Is
that actually legal in the US? Could there not be charges of discrimination?
(Please note, I do not object at this point, I think I agree that this is OK
and it certainly clears some things up.) One thing it clears up is the use by
traditional universities and "commercial" schools, but in my country, it may
eliminate users many would not actually want to eliminate.

Could you point out language in the legal code which explains the
restrictions
on the nature of the user?

Also, under A. I would like to see some mention of an otherwise commercial
who
agrees to be a "host" at the request of a non-commercial user.

For instance, I want to spread CC works and aks local business to allow me to
place a computer with CC works on it and a CD burner in it in their
establishment along with posters promoting the CC. Can they host it for me?

In C. (2) could you explain a course pack and how that would differ from
charging for the cost of media?

Could you supply some real word examples of D. (1) (c) to clarify this?

I would have thought that D. (1) (d) would have been considered commercial
and
I find it interesting that it is not. Does this mean NC works are not a
problem for buskers?

Just for clarity in E. (1) (a), is the SA condition mentioned one on the
original work, or one put un the derivative by the maker of the derivative?

So, in E. (1) (b) (ii), if I were to include a verse from an NC song in my
BY-SA novel and sell my novel on lulu.com, I would be OK?

And again, E. (1) (b) (iii) I find surprising as a non-commercial use. Not
that I am complaining, I am just surprised.

Thank you for the file. I look forward to the discussion that arise.

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 08:53 pm, Mia Garlick wrote:
> So the topic of what constitutes a "noncommercial use" under those
> Creative Commons licenses that contain the NonCommercial license
> option has been a perennial source of debate over the years.

snip

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22