cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] FictionWiki - Collaborative Editing License?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alex Trujillo <cryptoquick AT phyco.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] FictionWiki - Collaborative Editing License?
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:38:39 -0700

Hello; I'm an avid MediaWiki operator.

My latest project is a FictionWiki-- a wiki for the collaborative editing and fabrication of stories.

However, there might be certain problems with this idea.

Since the wiki can be edited freely-- once you sign up as a member, of course --anyone can make changes to the work that's hosted there. Edits are tracked, so vandalism shouldn't be a problem, but what would be a problem is if someone makes a small change to the story, or even a large one, and they become owner of the work. How would we define the owner or owners of each story?

Also, if a user wishes to publish one of their/our hosted works, will they have difficulty, since it was already "published" online, or that the license may be considered to belong someone else?

Are there any other points I may be missing? Should I be worried? What license should the wiki run under?

- Alex Trujillo, aka CryptoQuick,
FictionWiki.org, Phyco.org, Syst3m0v3rl0ad.com

  • [cc-licenses] FictionWiki - Collaborative Editing License?, Alex Trujillo, 12/31/2005