cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fanfic-enabling license?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Shalon Wood <dstar AT pele.cx>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fanfic-enabling license?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:22:39 -0600

Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org> writes:

>> but if I understand correctly, it
>> wouldn't allow the original author to use items from the derivative
>> works in a commercial manner...which means it wouldn't solve the
>> original problem.
>
> What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. :-) If the
> original author believes a fan's work is valuable enough to want to
> use then it is valuable enough to pay for. :-) This payment might be
> monetary or by allowing unrestricted use through BY-SA.

I'm not sure I made my point clear, then. The problem isn't the
original author reading and wanting to use something from fanfic; the
problem is a fanfic author suing the original author even when the
original author hasn't read their work. The goal is to set up a
situation where, in order to legally produce fanfic, the fanfic author
agrees that the original author is protected from such claims, without
any sort of release or disclaimer being needed. It should be part of
the license.

Shalon Wood

--
Check out Strange Love -- an ezine of science fiction, fantasy, and
paranormal erotica. Only $2 for more than 20,000 words of fiction!

http://strangelove.pele.cx