cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Question: GNU, Wikipedia and Creative Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Matthew McDermott <matthew AT chicagocityarts.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Question: GNU, Wikipedia and Creative Commons
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:46:12 -0600

Hi,

I'm sure this one has done the rounds before. I'm preparing a Wiki for
launch and it has obviously occurred to me that Wikipedia has great
"Wiki how-to" articles. Rather than invent as one person what has been
developed by a group over time based on experience, I would like to
simply use the Wikipedia articles with proper attribution. The problem
is that their articles are too lengthy and technical for my end users: I
need to make derivative works. They have a good explanation of how to do
this under the GNU Free Documentation license. However, how does that
apply to me with my Creative Commons license? Is there a way for me to
truncate their how to articles into shorter derivates and give
attribution in a matter that doesn't violate the GNU while my site
operates under the Creative Commons? It would seem odd to have just
those articles under the GNU on my site alongside a Wiki of CC articles
and I wonder if that is even legally viable?

Sorry if this is a repetitive question.
Thanks for your time,
Matt