cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Notification option on licences

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: evan AT bad.dynu.ca (Evan Prodromou)
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Notification option on licences
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:43:21 -0500

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 09:58:33AM -0000, Richard Hopkins wrote:

> So we would want to include in our creative commons license the
> requirement that anyone re-using our stuff should tell us about it.

There are so many problems with this kind of requirement. Copyright
lasts for 75+ years for most works. What if your group is dissolved,
or the members pass away? Then noone could use your work, since noone
could contact you. Your mail server could go down, or in 10-20 years
we might not use email with the same addressing scheme anymore (quite
likely).

In other words, as a _requirement_ this is a real problem. As a
_request_ it's more than adequate. Finally, for academic work,
published authors are bound by tradition to cite references and you
can use a citation index to find those.

~Evan