cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Blog Engine License Advice Requested

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Carl Camera" <carl AT vinebranches.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Blog Engine License Advice Requested
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:17:13 -0500

Yes, I've seen the admonishions about software - but for the most part the admonishions assume source code. That is not my case.

So my main concern is folks getting my software for free and then making money from it -- I am under the assumption that "nc" prevents this. ie...

c. "You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. The exchange of the Work for other copyrighted works by means of digital file-sharing or otherwise shall not be considered to be intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation, provided there is no payment of any monetary compensation in connection with the exchange of copyrighted works.

So I guess this is a basic CC question concerning "nc" -- if I obtain a photograph through a "nc" license alter it to create a new-derivative work, can I sell it?