cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License Compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: M Featherston <opensourcepro AT gmail.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License Compatibility
  • Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:02:56 +0100

I am Not A Lawyer, I am Not CC.

Quoting M Featherston <opensourcepro AT gmail.com>:

if I take a photo that was licensed under version 1.0 of the
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License, and then take a photo licensed
under the version 2.5 license, would there be legal or other issues?

1.0 doesn't have an "upgrade clause" so as far as I know you wouldn't be able to
use the 1.0 work under the 2.5 license. So there's a compatibility problem.

Also,
using my example of version 1.0 and version 2.5 being combined, would the
derivative I create be automatically licensed under a 2.5 license?

You couldn't create such a derivative, so it couldn't be 2.5.

2.0 does have an upgrade clause, so you could mix 2.0 and 2.5 work and release
the results 2.5 .

- Rob.