cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] wiki vs. NC CC?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: <erostratus2004-cc AT yahoo.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] wiki vs. NC CC?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:16:04 -0700 (PDT)

Does the owner of the website have the right to make
> money off the
> content (through ad revenue, for example), or is the
> website itself a
> "user" and subject to the non-commercial portion of the
> license that
> the user contributed the content under?

IANAL. My guess is no.

That's one reason why NC licenses are so unwieldy,
especially when you are dealing with user submissions (I'm
facing a similar scenario).

It's better to clear it with the submitter as a condition
of membership.

Of course, a lot of times wikis are not exactly
profit-making ventures anyway, but site owners are just
trying to pay for webhosting fees.

Robert Nagle
idiotprogrammer

Robert Nagle, Technical Writer, Trainer & Linux Aficionado
2828 Rogerdale #74, Houston TX 77042 T: 832-251-7522
(Daytime: 281 274 3989)
CHAT: robertdotnagle (yahoo)
No, I didn't vote for him!
I videochat! I friendster! I'm linkedin!
"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your
temper." Robert Frost
http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblogs/idiotprogrammer/