cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] "Fair Use" Materials within a CC-licensed document

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Dipesh Navsaria <dipesh AT navsaria.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] "Fair Use" Materials within a CC-licensed document
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:57:40 -0500

Greetings all. I have a question about how to handle a situation that may be coming up for me soon.

I am writing a guide for laypeople on choosing children's books in accordance with developmental principles. As part of this, my plan was to use occasional images (1-2 pages) from well-known children's books to illustrate examples as well as quotes. When this is completed, I'd like to be able to place it under a CC license and make it a freely downloadable PDF.

Now, since this is partially being done for academic credit, I don't have any doubt that using the copyrighted image excerpts and quotes comes clearly under "Fair Use" for the purposes of submitting it to an instructor. However, what about placing it under CC and making it freely available?

o Does this still come under Fair Use? (I know, I know, thorny question.)

o Let's assume that it is Fair Use for a moment: how can I clearly indicate that while the document is CC-licensed, some of the images/ quotes within it are copyrighted material? Can I still distribute it under a CC-license?

This feels not all that different from a situation where I would submit this for scholarly publication, except that I'm not sure if I'm supposed to attempt to seek permissions or not. What if it was a CC-using journal? What would happen then?

I'm open to any discussion on the topic -- right now I'm mostly just confused.

Thanks!

Peace and Prosperity,
Dipesh

Dipesh Navsaria, MPH, MS(LIS), PA-C
Physician Assistant, Pediatrics
Medical Student, Class of 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
(dipesh AT navsaria.com)

  • [cc-licenses] "Fair Use" Materials within a CC-licensed document, Dipesh Navsaria, 08/29/2005