cc-licenses - Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Proposal for a new kind of CC license - "preservation license"
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:55:10 +0200

I have been lurking most of the time. However on the topic of new licenses I hold a firm opinion:

less is more.

Stop adding new licenses. Actually in an ideal world we wouldn't need licenses altogether, the less we (need to) use them the better...

Most people have enough troubles in understanding the CC licenses concept and adding more licenses is not helping. I'm saying this based on my own experiences with Simuze (http://www.simuze.nl) a Dutch music community based on sharing of music under CC licenses. Most of the people I've met had a lot of problems understanding the 'subtle' differences between licenses. Especially The sampling and developing nations license do in my view more harm than good.

grtz
BjornW

Mathias Klang wrote:
I agree with Marcus that we should be wary of new licenses. CC has been built upon its simplicity and universal appeal. The creation of new licenses (and also the rapid development of new versions) should be kept to a minumum. CC will not grow stronger by applying new licenses but through the application of its fundamental ideology.

The latter should (as Marcus expresses) be explored and elaborated.

Mathias

Marcus Bornfreund wrote:

Hi all. Here's another thought, one expressed to me in-person recently by Richard Stallman and supported by several members of our own community: */No new licences/*.

Instead, I suggest that we stop and consider the mandate of Creative Commons. What do we want people to infer when they see the CC in a circle on a creative work? What is CC's ideology? Is it to promote collaboration and sharing whenever possible, or in a particular fashion? If the former, than the more licences the merrier so long as they do not logically conflict; if the latter, perhaps less is more...

/Marcus

Mathias Klang
Dept. of Informatics, University of Goteborg, Box 620, 405 30 Goteborg,
Sweden.
Tel:+46-31 773 55 63 (Fax:+46-31 773 47 54) Cell: +46 705 43 22 13.
http://www.informatik.gu.se/~klang