cc-licenses - Can I change my license from permitting derivative works to

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Elisabeth Alpers" <ceeceegl AT globe.net.nz>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Can I change my license from permitting derivative works to
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:01:07 +1200

Hi Drew and Greg

Thank you very much for your replies.

When I first made my designs I intended them to be kind of ‘standard’ designs which I hoped would simply spread the message of peak oil.

But I also asked permission from someone else to borrow the ‘hubbert’s peak’ curve (like a bell curve representing oil production over time), and I established a friendship / semi-business relationship with him, and he suggested I add his web address beneath the designs. I was more than happy to do that.. especially as he displayed my work on his homepage, and about 75% of the hits on my site come from his site.

Since making the designs they have kind of taken off but they have also become strongly associated with my friend’s website, and are now a kind-of logo for his website. I now feel an allegiance to him and his website and want to retain that. So I’m now thinking of changing the conditions of the license so as to ‘protect’ the design from being modified for use by others.

However I am still very much in favour of the designs (as I’ve made them) being spread and used as much as possible by anyone who wants to, for non-commercial purposes.

I understand that I would have to stand by the original license in the case of anyone who has that one (prior to me changing it, which I haven’t done yet).

I’ll think on it – whether or not I change it, over the next few days.

Thank you very much fro your replies.

Elisabeth.

  • Can I change my license from permitting derivative works to, Elisabeth Alpers, 07/08/2005