cc-licenses - Sampling vs Derivative

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Chris Morris <the.chrismo AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Sampling vs Derivative
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:19:26 -0500

Does the sampling license allow me to make a derivative work, like the
attribution or share-alike varieties? If there's a distinction, is
there some sort of FAQ documentation helping to define the
differences?

For example, I made a derivative work of Funktifyno's Funkberry Jam by
just adding a keyboard track to the existing piece. Can I do the same
thing with material under either of the sampling licenses used at CC
Mixter, or is just adding a keyboard track to the entirety of a track
too similar to fall under 'sampling'?

--
Chris
http://cministries.org/cstudios

  • Sampling vs Derivative, Chris Morris, 06/07/2005