cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:27:41 -0400 (EDT)

I got pulled away from the computer so I sent the
last message before I could finish...

> I don't buy the notion that "reputation" is outside of the
> market/gift split. A market economy license is ANY license
> that has some benefit for the individual contributer.

Market economy gives something and demands something in return.
All Rights Reserved gives something (a work that didn't exist
before) in exchange for monetary compensation that allows
the arist to make a profit. CC-BY is a market economy
license that gives something (almost all the rights to a work)
in exchange for a minor demand for attribution.
But it is still a demand.

And I get that reputation can be used as an incentive for
projects. But so is money an incentive. What we're talking
about is how are individuals incentivized to contribute their
time and energy to a work. All Rights Reserved gives people
a monetary incentive. CC-Attribution gives people a reputation
incentive.

But a gift economy must meet the definition of the word "gift".
It is given, without any demand for reparations.
If you give Bob a bike for his birthday,
the box might have your name on it, but the
bicycle inside doesnt (hopefully) have your name
etched on the frame.

CC-Attribution would be a bike shop giving away free bikes
that have their name, address, and URL etched onto the frame.
The shop is expecting some indirect payback from the bike.

But that is not a gift.

It is an extremely cheap bike.

But there is a difference.

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/