cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:20:15 +0200

tisdag 31 maj 2005 16:36 skrev Greg London:

> Creative Commons made the huge mistake of rolling it into
> be "on" by default for all licenses and making it impossible
> as far as anyone has been able to demonstrate to turn it "off".
[ snip ]

> My preference would be for option 1.
> I think that if CC wants to focus on the
> best long-term benefit for gift economy
> projects, they would drop the attribution
> requirement.

Having attribution as a default requirement reminds people of an obligation
they have under law. If attribution would be removed from the license it
would have no legal effect at all, you would still be required to provide
attribution (see The Berne Convention, Article 6bis:
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html#P123_20726).

/Peter Brink