cc-licenses - Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Call for more license options - Creative Commons Legal Code
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:08:08 -0500

On Monday 28 March 2005 09:24 am, Greg London wrote:
> I missed this earlier.
> Copyleft demands that all distributed derivatives be licensed copyleft too.
> You want to extend that requirement to collective works as well?
> You want derivatives, collections, and compilations that are distributed
> to be copyleft?
>
> Is this what you're asking for?

That's one way of wording it. I was wording it in my head as only allowing my
works to be combined in these ways with works of a similar license.

> May I ask why? I don't quite understand what this is in response to.

Sure. Id on't like the feeling I have lately that people with big money are
at
the least lobbying for and influencing the passage of laws that put me at
grave risk of jail and hugh, unreasonable fines, for what could be simple
innocent mistakes with an actual cost to them of no more than $20.00. In
fact, I don't see how the figure could even get to that size.

I don't want to make it easier for people who think like this to use my work
to make money which they can use against me. And I don't trust them to be
reasonable.

Perhaps I cannot accomplish this desire without compromising on values I hold
and will not violate, but I am not unwilling to explore the options.