cc-licenses - Re: no-derivatives question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: no-derivatives question
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:11:44 -0500

On Monday 21 March 2005 07:32 am, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2005, at 14:10, James Nash wrote:
> > I'm a university student working on a report for my final year
> > project. I want to license it under a CC license and the
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/ seems to match my
> > requirements best, but I have a question regarding the no-derivatives
> > bit.
> >
> > I have chosen it to ensure that if my report is copied / distributed
> > it remains unchanged. However, the wording of the license says: "You
> > may not alter, transform, or *build upon this work*" [my emphasis].
> > Now while I don't want people to just take the report, make some
> > changes and call it their own, I *do* want them to be able to quote
> > it, and to reuse or build upon the ideas covered within it.
> >
> > Can someone please confirm that people will still have this freedom
> > with the above license and if not tell me which CC license I can use
> > to ensure this.
>
> For the time being, quoting is still considered Fair Use in the US and
> otherwise protected in sane jurisdictions where the term Fair Use does
> not exist. The CC licenses can't and don't try to limit Fair Use. See
> section 2 of the license.

This is interesting. I will have to remember to ask a lawyer about this today
when I ask about the other things I have been discussing over the weekend.
You see, I wrote a book as part of last years nanowrimo challenge and I want
to release CC BY-SAS but have held back because it is a comming of age period
piece (1970s) and sprinkled throughout there are one or two line quotes from
period songs. In one place I think I quote a verse or the chorus of a Uriah
Heep song (I woke up today...) and I included a cojmplete song written by a
friend for which I have permission.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/userinfo.php?uid=47354

http://nanoppix.sourceforge.net/