cc-licenses - Re: Licenses for XML Schemas and the content of associatedXMLdocuments

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Steven Ericsson-Zenith" <steven AT semeiosis.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Licenses for XML Schemas and the content of associatedXMLdocuments
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:24:50 -0800

J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote ..
> Steven Ericsson-Zenith wrote:
> > An open source license also licenses the use of intellectual property
> > - not only the copyright of the source. Copyright pertains only to
> > the substantive document it is applied to - not the intellectaul
> > property within. Or am I mistaken ?
>
> I think you are mistaken, but more on the use of a concept that has no
> meaning. "Intellectual property" is not a real subject, thus no
> substantive questions can be asked about it and one cannot answer the
> question you have asked except to point out that the question makes no
> sense.

That's very funny - since I have spent a good deal of my career developing
"Intellectual Property" for myself and others. In addition, I have spent much
of
that time asking substantive questions about it. Be that as it may ...

> Copyright law, patent law, trademark law, mask rights, and other
> disparate areas of law, which are often mashed together as "intellectual
> property" as though they have so much in common, are real and can be
> discussed.

You are confused. The subject of these laws - according to your account -
does
not exist.

My question remains open.

With respect,