cc-licenses - Putting text under CC but overall design under copyright

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Richard Koman" <rkoman AT compumentor.org>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Putting text under CC but overall design under copyright
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 07:08:50 -0800

TechSoup.org would like to move to releasing our content under CC. That is

to say, we would like to release the textual content of the site (the WORDS

that appear in our articles). We do not want the design, the graphics, the

"branding" of the site to be considered under CC. Any advice on how to draw

this distinction when we put the CC licensing on our pages? What if our

footers contained language like: "The textual content, except where noted,

is licensed under Creative Commons. All non-textual content, including

graphics, visual design and other visual elements of the site are copyright

and are not available under the CC license"?

Richard Koman
Publishing Manager,
TechSoup.org
rkoman AT techsoup.org