cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:36:15 -0500 (EST)

It would be an interesting edge-of-the-envelope case
if someone distributed a work CC-SA, but the only way
to use that work was through the purchase of their
software package for $199.

If Poser handed out 3-D models for CGI stuff, but they
were all in the Poser format or something.

I suppose it would simply push Blender to move to support
that format or something.

CC-SA intends for anyone to be able to sell a work for profit.
I don't think distributing a work in a proprietary format
so that only you can make money from it is really the spirit
of that license.

If that's what you want, be straight about it by using CC-SA-NC.

Personally, I hate SA-NC, but better to be honest up front than
to say "our stuff is CC-SA" but then have it in a format that
requires the purchase of your software to use it.