cc-licenses - Re: CC by-nc-sa / software / CMS

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Branko Collin" <collin AT xs4all.nl>
  • To: mitro <ml AT somecode.com>, cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: CC by-nc-sa / software / CMS
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:25:19 +0100

#2, everybody who created code/art/documentation for the project.

> - What happen if someone ask me to earn money using the CMS (someone
> wants to sell a internet site which uses the CMS to an enterprise)?
> --> Can I authorize if I want without ask other developpers, or I must
> ask the whole team of developpers if they agree ?

You must ask all copyright holders, in other words the entire team.

> - What happen if I want to change my licence ?
> --> Can I change it myself or I must ask the whole team of developpers?

Again, you must ask all copyright holders, in other words the whole
team.

> It sounds strange if the author is the only who can decide to
> authorize commercial use, change licence, etc.

Yes, that's called copyright. Copyright law has turned into a rather
convoluted jumble of rules.

In this case, however, there is nothing strange: you are not _the_
author, but merely one of the many authors that worked on the
project. Every author has copyrights to the work they've done.

Often, in open source projects it is really one person, or a small
group of persons, that does the bulk of all the work. If you look at
the GIMP, which is, I understand a fairly large project, most of the
work there is done by two people.

What you could do in such a case, is keep two trees: one with only
your code, and one with the other code folded in. Then if somebody
wants to buy a license for commercial use, you can license them the
code from the first tree, to which you only (or a small group of
trusted contributors) hold the rights.

There is a small danger in that scenario; if your customers ask for
changes that are already in the larger tree, you must code them
yourself. And since you have probably already seen that other code,
you must be very careful not to write code that looks like it.

There are some fairly well-known open source projects out there who
work with dual licensing; visit their websites and see how they
handle things. Off the top of my head (things may have changed since
then): ghostscript, mySQL, Qt. IIRC, ghostscript for instance works
with a system in which the GPL version of their software is allways
one or two major versions behind the commercial version.

BTW, IANAL.

--
branko collin
collin AT xs4all.nl