cc-licenses - Re: How to overlay creativecommons licensing logos

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <jbn AT forestfield.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: How to overlay creativecommons licensing logos
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 02:46:55 -0500

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
Some of my co-workers however got the impression from Roland that we
should just offer people the actual 'CC' logo to overlay, and leave it
up to stream providers to provide further licensing details on their
website.

So I am writing this list hoping for some final advice on which approach
we should take on the overlaying :)

I'd question going with the co-workers on this one, but I tend to favor not interfering with the artistic image at all. I think too much screen real estate is taken up with all the logos one could use to describe various aspects of the work one is trying to see.

"Honey" is licensed under a CC license, and you learn that in the end or reading information about the movie from the website. To me, that's just fine because most of the time (particularly if I'm only watching the movie) I wouldn't care if what I was seeing were CC licensed.

Also, on a more technical note, unless you're packaging SVG logos and resizing them depending on the dimensions of the movie, won't bitmap images get to be too small to read with a large dimension movie?