cc-licenses - GNU GPL vs. GNU LGPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Casey REAS / UCLA <reas AT ucla.edu>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: GNU GPL vs. GNU LGPL
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:06:08 -0700

As far as I can tell, the human readable versions of the CC GNU GPL and
CC GNU LGPL are identical. I think there is already confusion about the
differences between these two licenses and clarifying within the human
readable commons deed would help people to differentiate.

As a novice in copyright issues, it took me at least 20 minutes of reading
the FSF site to simply differentiate between the two, the LGPL allows
the software to be used in proprietary software, while this is prohibited
with the GPL.

Regards,
Casey Reas

reas AT ucla.edu