cc-licenses - Re: someone violated my CC common license, now what?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: someone violated my CC common license, now what?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:47:14 +0100
On 8 Jul 2004, at 23:42, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

Oh, and just so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle: have you tried
contacting the editor directly? A well-placed, *polite* phone call might
resolve your problems without all the drama if it was an accidental
infringement.

I'd recommend this as a first step. Give them a call and see if they know/understand that the image was used without permission (they may have strange ideas about the ownership of images on the Internet or under Open licenses, be ready to explain gently :-) ).

IIRC a credit or apology in the next issue or payment at the going rate for a single image is the most you can expect, so it's probably not worth going to court over. If they're unresponsive you can always "name and shame" them.

- Rob.