cc-licenses - Re: NonCommercial and recovering costs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james.grimmelmann AT yale.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: NonCommercial and recovering costs
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:24:33 -0700

At 04:32 PM 6/22/2004, Greg London wrote:

Evan Prodromou said:
> If I had my own bookbinding machine ...

You do. It's called http://www.lulu.com
Actually, its a book binding and order fullfilment machine...
You need a PDF with fonts embedded, but it can be done.
My "Impatient Perl" book is available through Lulu
and it didn't cost me any money up front.

Course, with a CC-NC license, I'm not sure if it would be cool
to leave it up on Lulu, even if you charged no royalty, since lulu
would still be making money on it. You'd probably have to upload,
order one copy for yourself, and then remove the book so no one
else purchases it. Not sure about that one.

Yeah. It's revealing that Lulu is a publication service for authors, not a book production service for readers.

yes. NC is a market economy license. the point is free advertising,
free samples, to make the original author money. The idea of NC is
to give up some non-commercial rights in exchange for word of mouth
and a few actual sales. The idea is to bypass the "machine" that is
the massive book publishing industry (or music industry, or insert
industry of choice here) and to allow artists and authors a channel
to get distribution and advertising with no money up front. But the
point is for the author/artist to make money.

Right. I think that's a fair description of one constituency. Not sure I agree with you that NonCommercial isn't a good choice for others, and I'm not sure I agree with you that this group wouldn't want the copy shop to make copies of it for people. But this strikes me as a good way of describing the motivations of many would-be NC users.

Thanks!

James,
Not a lawyer. Not speaking for CC.