cc-licenses - The Perpetual Brochure

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: The Perpetual Brochure
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:22:26 -0400

Hi guys,

I wanted to let you know about an innovative way to use Creative Commons’
licensing system. For years, I have been a fan of comic books. It’s going on
30 years that I first read a comic. The comic industry is not overly healthy
today, and there are some signs that conditions may not be improving anytime
soon. Compared to 15 years ago, circulation is way down. Comics are probably
suffering from a lack of mainstream exposure and general entertainment
competition. Over the past couple of years, the two largest publishers of
American comics, DC Comics and Marvel Comics, have published a series
low-cost comics, in effect, loss leaders. These books are full-color 32 page
books, but designed for marketing purposes, and channeled through comic
specialty stores. Instead of the normal $2.25 or $2.50 cover price, they
offer these special books at anywhere from 10 cents to 50 cents. One of the
best known examples is a 10 cent Superman comic published in 2002. Generally
speaking, these books have been successful as giveaway items and value-added
products. Due to the costs of these books, and this sort of effort in
general, DC and Marvel are slowing the publishing of these books. I am sure
they are taking substantial hits with each and every one of these books.

Enter Creative Commons. For over a year now, I have used CC’s licenses for
various media I create, including digital images and animations. It dawned on
me that these companies might be in a position to create content similar to
the books I have described, but instead of publishing the comics in the
traditional way, they could opt to bypass the entire publishing process. By
creating digital files of the comics regardless if it is a 32 page book, a
single splash page or any variation, the file could be made available for
download. Once downloaded, the file could be opened, read, printed out, and
given away, even emailed if the size allowed it. Using the CC’s
‘Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License,’ DC and Marvel would have a
legally binding license that would allow anyone to copy and give away the
content. DC and Marvel, if they could be convinced to do this, would be in a
‘win-win’ position. They save on the publishing costs, and would allow
retailers (or consumers) who wish to use these tools to copy and giveaway a
limitless number of copies. I refer to this idea as a ‘Perpetual Brochure.’
Because of the costs associated with printing, it may be to DC and Marvel’s
advantage to create short, one page comics or develop single page ‘flyers’
that simply explain who a character is and/or the types of stories the
character is involved in.

EXAMPLE: Bob with Bob’s Comics Store goes to Mavel’s website. Finds a short,
2 page Spider-Man comic that he believes would make a great giveaway item.
Once Bob initiates the download, he is reminded that although the content is
free, no one is allowed to alter the content, build upon the content nor sell
said material. Verbatim copies only are allowed. When printed, each page
clearly is labeled with CC’s licence, and is spelled out in plain English
(the fine print). After Bob downloads the file, he immediately prints out the
two pages, front and back on one piece of paper off of his standard printer.
Because the file was created to be printed, the resolution and quality are
sharp. Bob likes what he sees, and takes the electronic file to a local
printer, negotiates a deal, and has 500 2-sided, full-color copies to be used
as giveaways in his store. Bob has created, in effect, a brochure; a
cost-effective tool for his business that benefits his store, Marvel and the
consumer. A new customer comes into Bob’s Comics, is given the free comic
sampler, and decides to buy a couple of comics. Success!

I have written letters to DC and Marvel. It will be difficult to pull this
off, but I believe it is a strong concept. Obviously, the legal aspects are
going to be their primary concern.

I have forward this text to Professor Lessig as well. He has, on many
occasions, used comics as examples in copyright issues.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Mitch Featherston