cc-licenses - Re: OSI Certified licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: OSI Certified licenses
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:34:55 -0400 (EDT)

Evan Prodromou said:

> GL> OSI does not address licenses outside of software licenses.
> GL> They have approved the GNU-GPL, but they have not approved the
> GL> GNU-FDL, specifically because it is for documentation.
>
> Are you sure that's why they haven't approved it? As I said before,

I was told by someone on the OSI board that OSI hasn't addressed
CreativeCommons in general because the licenses are geared towards
non-software.

I was also told by that same person that they believe that
non-software had different "economics" and so the definition
of "openness" may not be as rigid for non-software licenses.
I disagree, but that's the opinion of one member.

> the Academic Free License, listed as an OSI-certified license, seems
> to be primarily for non-software works.

But it specifically calls out source code requirements in section 3.
It may be used for other works, but CC licenses generally do not
address SourceCode requirements or "machine readable" requirements.

SourceCode is required for a Gift Economy.
But it is not needed for FreeAdvertising.