cc-licenses - Re: CC Metadata on creativecommons.org

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC Metadata on creativecommons.org
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:14:25 -0400

Me> * Which brings up the extremely interesting point of whether a
Me> Web page is a composite or derivative work.

ML> Interesting to the point of being non-interesting. Like the
ML> creator/contributor distinction, I think it can be argued
ML> endlessly without arriving at a well-defined conclusion.

Well, it's not entirely abstract, as we've got a situation right now
with it on Wikitravel.

Our site has been mirrored by these folks:

http://travel.new-frontier.info/

The copyright notice seems to distinguish between the decorative
framing navigation stuff and the "main content". The copyright notice
says:

"Copyright (c) 2003-2004 Zeeshan Muhammad. All rights reserved. Main
content is licensed under CCPL-sa, contributed by Wikitravel."

The "All rights reserved" part begs the question of whether any
particular page is a derivative work or a composite work.

I've got angry users on one hand, I've got a bemused downstream
distributor on the other. I could use some help.

~ESP

P.S. There are a couple of other problems with the mirror --
individual contributors aren't given attribution, for example. The
mirror owner is working on it, though.

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/

  • Re: CC Metadata on creativecommons.org, Evan Prodromou, 04/06/2004