cc-licenses - Re: CC-GPL (By:) Missing

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC-GPL (By:) Missing
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:33:42 -0500 (EST)

The original question was asking if the "CC-BY" was
missing from the CC-GNU-GPL page.GNU-GPL does not
require CC-BY style attribution, so I said CC-BY was
not missing since CC-BY is not required.

The old BSD with the advertising clause is similar
to CC-BY. And the GNU-FDL with an Invariant section
is similar to CC-BY as well. But I'll wager the
standard amount that GNU-GPL does not have CC-BY-like
restrictions.

Attribution seems relatively harmless, but I think
it adds friction to any large project. I wonder
what the number of contributers are for something
like the latest RedHat Linux installation CD or
the current state of wikipedia. Any numbers anyone?

Software does have an interesting convenience not
enjoyed by other media, namely its actually easier
to simply leave all the old copyright notices in
place and tack your notice on the front. But those
notices are generally comments that don't weigh down
the execution of the software.

I'm trying to imagine a CC-BY movie based on
CC-BY material and picturing the tail credits
would match or exceed the 10 minute credit trailer
that you see on a Hollywood movie. You'd need
someone on the project just to manage the attributions.