cc-licenses - Re: software licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: selussos <mgr AT x-oz.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: software licenses
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:08:45 -0800

selussos wrote:
I was looking at the Sleepycat.com site and I see that I links to CC for a
human understandable version of their license, yet no where on CC do you
really say that you cover Software.
I would like to use the http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/ to explain our license in plain English but should I or would that be misleading?

I guess you must be looking at <http://www.sleepycat.com/download/licensinginfo.shtml>. Only the documentation is under a CC license. Unfortunately they have copied the deed rather than linked to <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/>.

Sleepycat's software is under their own license, see <http://www.sleepycat.com/download/oslicense.html>, also linked to from the above licensinginfo page.

Creative Commons licenses aren't intended for software <http://creativecommons.org/faq#faq_entry_3646>, but in theory you could use one.

Note that we're now offering CC packaging (human readable deed and machine readable metadata) for the GPL <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/> and LGPL <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/LGPL/2.1/>, and could do the same for other software licenses in the future.

--
Mike Linksvayer