cc-licenses - Re: Extra restrictions on derivative works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Extra restrictions on derivative works
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:56:34 -0800

Rob Myers wrote:
On 8 Feb 2004, at 17:28, Luke Stodola wrote:
I very much agree with adulau, Per, and "greglondon". There are two
distinct groups which the CC licenses cater to. One are the artists who
want to use a restrictive license for some of their work to get enough
publicity to get people to buy the rest of their work under an even more
restrictive license. As JBN said:

These people don't need a CC license. They need a disclaimer saying "download one copy for personal use, don't distribute" and a plug for their work in some way included in the download.

They _do_ need a CC license. The orignal CC licenses all allow for unlimited (noncommercial-only in some cases, P2P allowed in all cases) distribution and format shifting. That's far greater rights than the statement you cite above, and far, far greater than standard all rights reserved.

The NoDerivs clause also falls strongly into the first category. If
you are putting your work in that central pool, you are granting others
the right to be inspired by them, adapt them, translate them, etc. If
you simply want others to hear your work and then buy your CD, fine,
but don't mistake that for free or open content.

Yes. The bandwagon can pay for itself.

ND and NC licenses do not qualify as free. They are gratis. For non-software I'd much prefer people to choose non-free but non-all rights reserved option than all-rights-reserved-must-have-DRM-we-will-sue-you. The current ecology for software and other media are totally different.

--
Mike Linksvayer