cc-licenses - RE: backgroundmusic in shops

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Melanie Dulong de Rosnay" <melanie.dulong-de-rosnay AT medialive.fr>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: backgroundmusic in shops
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:00:09 +0100

My interpretation of this was:

You can use non-commercial CC-work as background-music in shops,
as long as you don't have to pay to enter the shop. They don't "sell"
the music.

[melanie] I find your interpretation logical and reasonable, but case law
tends to consider music in regular shops as a commercial use as the visitor
who may buy stuff enjoys the music.

(...)

Suppose a farmer makes his cows listen to music
to make them more productive.
Would you sue him if he used your CC "BY-NC"-licensed Music?

Not by me.

Wouter Vanden Hove
wwW.opencursus.org
www.vrijschrift.org

[melanie] neither by me :)
But what happens if a collective society spots a potential infringing use
within its compulsory license scope ? I'm afraid they might sue.
melanie