cc-licenses - Re: translations of CC licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Glenn Otis Brown <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: translations of CC licenses
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:05:41 +0900

1. Will we see conflicts between a US-English share-alike license and a (for instance) France-French share-alike license for a derivative work ?

in our drafts of the new vesrions of the licenses, the share alike provision allows for licensees to use another country's share alike license provided it has the same top-level conditions and restrictions (e.g. by-nc-sa). great question though.

2. How do we handle links to the licences from multilingual contents (for instance the same web page in two different languages) if the English language and (for instance) French language licenses are not exact translations ?

it's up to the licensor which license to pick. also, we plan to include alongside every country-specific porting/translation a re-translation into English (or possibly into all the official UN languages).

does that help?