cc-licenses - Re: [Wikilegal-l] GFDL / CC by-sa compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: maveric149 AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: maj AT wikitravel.org, wikilegal-l AT Wikimedia.org, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Wikilegal-l] GFDL / CC by-sa compatibility
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:01:17 -0500

DM> Evan, you listening? I remember pointing this out soon after
DM> Wikitravel started and you said you were going to contact the
DM> CC people about that.

DM> http://www.wikitravel.org/article/Wikitravel:Copyleft

You've pointed out a serious weakness in the CC licenses. The next
version of the CC licenses, apparently, are going to have "or any
later version" in them. (Also, the copyleft ones will be compatible
with the GFDL, apparently. Like, you can take by-sa content and put it
into GFDL content, if not vice versa.)

DM> One problem with the current CC by-sa is that there is no "or
DM> later version" clause in by-sa 1.0. So I don't know how a
DM> project like Wikitravel could even upgrade to the new version
DM> of the by-sa without having to get the permission of every one
DM> of their contributors (past, present and future).

Thanks for bringing up a king-sized bummer for me, Mav. B-) Yeah,
we're aware of this, and trying to work out a strategy so we can
upgrade to the new licenses when they come around.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/

  • Re: [Wikilegal-l] GFDL / CC by-sa compatibility, Evan Prodromou, 12/21/2003