cc-licenses - Re: Free Documentation License

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Aaron Swartz <me AT aaronsw.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Free Documentation License
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:50:38 -0500

If you are producing free-as-in-free-software documentation you'd probably want to avoid most CC licenses as they aren't DFSG-free, though I suspect by, sa, and by-sa are very close.

OTOH, I think the current consensus is that the GFDL isn't DFSG-free either.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/footnotes.en.html#f3

The current Release Manager in fact suggested using sa and by-sa instead!

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200304/ msg00246.html

--
Aaron Swartz: http://www.aaronsw.com/