cc-licenses - Information on use of CC-licensed works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: webmaster AT creativecommons.org
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Information on use of CC-licensed works
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:54:18 -0500

Hi. So, on the cc-licenses list recently, a question came up about
using by-sa-licensed music for different uses -- the background music
of a Web page (yuck!), the soundtrack for a movie, linking to a music
file from Web page.

In a broader sense, it seems to me that some clarification on the Web
site for different kinds of media -- say, under the guides for
musicians, bloggers, etc. -- might be helpful for people to understand
how they can use CC-licensed data. I was thinking maybe we (you!)
could list some common uses for the type of data, and how CC license
terms apply.

The following are a starting point. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know
if these are correct, but maybe they'd be good to start adding. These
lists aren't exhaustive, and of course we hope downstream users and
collaborators think of cool and interesting ways to use CC-licensed
content. But they give an idea to people.

---8<---

MUSIC AND OTHER AUDIO

OK for all licenses (but commercial use restrictions may apply):
-Listening at home
-Saving to a personal music player (e.g. IPod)
-Playing in public
-Linking from another Web location
-Copying to another Web location
-Burning to a CD
-Playing on Internet radio
-Playing on regular radio
-Sharing on a peer-to-peer network

Collective Work (subject to license terms):
-Movie soundtrack
-Adding to a Flash movie
-Compiling with other music on a CD
-Background to a Web page

Derivative Work (subject to license terms):
-Converting to a different format
-Adding/removing tracks
-Sampling (could be fair use, too)

PHOTOS AND OTHER IMAGES

OK for all licenses (but commercial use restrictions may apply):
-Viewing at home
-Printing on a computer printer
-Making a photo-quality print
-Displaying in public
-Linking from another Web location
-Copying to another Web location
-Sharing on a peer-to-peer network

Collective Work (subject to license terms):
-Adding to an HTML page
-Adding to a Flash movie
-Background to an HTML page

Derivative Work (subject to license terms):
-Converting to a different format
-Changing colors
-Adding effects
-Resizing
-Copying into another image
-Clipping parts for use in another image

MOVIES AND OTHER VIDEO

OK for all licenses (but commercial use restrictions may apply):
-Viewing at home
-Projecting in a movie theater or other public place
-Linking from another Web location
-Copying to another Web location
-Sharing on a peer-to-peer network
-Playing on Internet streaming video
-Playing on regular TV
-VJ for clubs and raves
-Burning to a CD
-Burning to a DVD

Collective Work (subject to license terms):
-On a DVD with other movies
-Adding to a Flash movie
-Adding to a Web page

Derivative Work (subject to license terms):
-Converting to a different file format
-Video sampling (could be fair use, too)
-Editing or abridging
-Incorporating clips into another movie

TEXT

OK for all licenses (but commercial use restrictions may apply):
-Viewing at home
-Saving to read later
-Printing to read later
-Photocopying in entirety
-Copying to another Web location
-Linking from another Web location
-Emailing to a friend
-Emailing to a mailing list
-Printing as a book
-Reading aloud in public
-Reading aloud on the radio
-Reading aloud on TV
-Performing in public
-Burning to a CD
-Using text-to-speech software to read aloud
-Sharing on a peer-to-peer network

Collective Work (subject to license terms):
-Publishing in a magazine or journal
-Publishing in a book as part of a collection
-Adding as part of another Web page

Derivative Work (subject to license terms):
-Fixing spelling, grammar, or punctuation mistakes
-Abridging
-Adding or removing sections
-Quoting (may be fair use, though)
-Adapting (screenplay to novel, poem to radio play)
-Making an audio recording (say, for blind people)
-Using a section, chapter, paragraph, or sentence in another work
-Adapting plot or characters (e.g., fanfic)

---8<---

Anyways, that's a first pass. Please use this list however you see fit.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/

  • Information on use of CC-licensed works, Evan Prodromou, 11/28/2003