cc-licenses - edited midi from copyrighted sheet music

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "B. G." <bgates1128 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: edited midi from copyrighted sheet music
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:39:47 -0600

If I purchase sheet music of an arrangement, am
I obliged to ask permission before encoding the
printed music into a midi format for my own
use (practice) ?

Note: In this case, the arranger doesn't offer a
midi version of their format.

If I do encode the music into a midi file, then
what rights do I have with the midi file? Could
I, for instance, take the three separate parts I
purchased, encode them into an ensemble, then print
a score of the music afterwards?

Note: The arranger/publisher doesn't offer a score
for sale.

Thanks.

  • edited midi from copyrighted sheet music, B. G., 11/24/2003