cc-licenses - Re: public performance

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller <sloyment AT gmx.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: public performance
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:13:45 +0100

On Mittwoch 12 November 2003 00:13, Dierk Ohlerich wrote:
> for one of the "uncommercial" licenses:
>
> i suspect it is ok to show licensed work in public if no
> entrance fee is taken. but for the artist it might be
> important that his work can be shown in half-commercial
> situations:
>
> 1) during a festival where an entrance fee is taken, but the
> show is not a major event of that festival
> 2) during a conference seminar where an entrance fee is taken
> for the whole conference.

There are two solutions:

A) Use a "commercial" CC license.

B) Write an additional license which allows further things.

Option B has several disadvantages:

* You will clutter your work with two licenses.

* The regular CC license allows copying of the work without the
requirement to keep your additional license note attached.

* In case of the "share alike" license, people are only required
to license their modified works under this license, not to use
your additions as well. So, you might shoot yourself in the
foot.

(Please note that I am not part of the CC project, so this is not
an official answer.)

cu,
Thomas }:o{#
-- - http://217.160.174.154/~sloyment/ - --
"Look! They have different music on the dance floor..."

  • public performance, Dierk Ohlerich, 11/11/2003
    • Re: public performance, Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller, 11/12/2003