cc-licenses - Re: License Proposal: Non-Copyleft Free Content License

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: License Proposal: Non-Copyleft Free Content License
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:07:46 -0800

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for writing. I may be missing your point here -- in which case,
let me know -- but every Creative Commons license that does not include a
"share alike" provision is a non-copyleft license. I am going by the
general GNU GPL definition of copyleft, meaning a license that requires
licensees to offer derivations back to the public on exactly the same
terms they were offered.

I suspect you are working from a different definition of copyleft: a
license that imposes _no_ requirements on licensees other than, say,
continued notice of the license terms. If that's the case, then you're
right: we have no license like that. We've considerd one before but
thought that the demand for it might be too limited. That was before we
had launched, though, and if it turns out that people want this, we'll
consider it. I'll pass it on to the team and board.

Thanks again for your input.

Glenn