cc-licenses - Is cc-by a viral license?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Watanabe Tomoaki" <tomoaki_watanabe_cc AT hotmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Is cc-by a viral license?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:03:42 +0000

Dear list participants;

I have a simple question regarding the difference between cc-by and cc-by-sa. It seems that when I create a derivative work (say, an encyclopedia article) based on someone else's cc-by contents (say, a instructional material for school teachers), I can release that derivative work (article) under any license, as long as I include attribution to the authors of the work I used (the instructional material).
I may release it with fully copyrighted, or I may use other CC license, or some other copyleft licence, etc.

However, if the instructional material is provided under "cc-by-sa" license, the article must be released under the same, cc-by-sa license.
Am I correct?
In other words, is Attribution license a viral license? My understanding is that it is not, especially given the differences between cc-by and cc-by-sa license terms in section 4. But I thought I would double-check that with someone who has more knowledge or expertise.

Thank you for your help,

Tomo

会員登録は無料 充実した出品アイテムなら MSN オークション http://auction.msn.co.jp/

  • Is cc-by a viral license?, Watanabe Tomoaki, 10/31/2003