cc-licenses - Re: how to use By licensed materials (long)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Lorenzo De Tomasi <lorenzo.detomasi AT creativecommons.it>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: how to use By licensed materials (long)
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:15:12 +0200

on 10-10-2003 22:46, Tomoaki Watanabe at tomoaki_watanabe_cc AT hotmail.com
wrote:

> Hello. I'm working on a collaborative project to publish a booklet
> (illustrated guide for beginners) on CC, using readily available
> (CC-licensed) materials. And of course, we would like to license the booklet
> under a CC license (by or by-sa, most probably). I and some others have some
> questions regarding license terms, etc. and would like to get someone's help
> on how to use CCPL'd works.
>
> (The publication will be in Japanese, by the way, and will be published in
> Japan.)
>
> (1) How to give "Attribution"
>
> If we (the booklet team) were to use multiple by-licensed works (each from
> separate author), and make modifications (layout, font, add drawings), etc,
> as opposed to simply compiling verbatim copy of each licensed work, how
> should we give credits to the original authors of the materials? Three
> different ideas came up to my mind:
>
> (a) We can just list all the authors at the end of the booklet along with
> our names. This way, the readers of the booklet cannot distinguish which
> ones are the booklet authors, which ones are the authors of the materials
> used for the booklets.
>
> (b) We should make a list in (year, author) format, just like some typical
> CD does, to indicate different copyright holders at different stages of
> production. But we do not have to explain anything further than that.
> Readers of the booklet can "guess," or do some research to find out whose
> contributions are what.
>
> (c) We should specify which section of the booklet used which work, with
> copyright holder of the work, title of the work, & year.

I must specify that I'm not a member of the CC staff.
I was going to ask similar questions to CC about the attribution license.
My suggestion is to specify which section of the booklet used which work,
with copyright holder of the work, title of the work, & year.

Something like: This work (by <Author name>) is in partially original and
partially derivative, i.e. realized quoting and modifying the following
original works:
<Author name>, <Work title>, <Publisher>, <year of publication>

This is only my suggestion and would like to hear your opinions.

> (2) When others use the booklet, how should they make attribution?
>
> Now suppose the project goes well and the booklet sells quite a bit. And to
> our pleasure, some people think they want to produce an "alternative
> version" of the
> booklet - changing layouts and drawings to their taste, replacing texts with
> more relevant stuff, etc.
>
> The first-generation booklet is licensed CC-by, so the authors of the
> alternative version can make modifications freely as they see fit.
>
> But what if they have decided to take just 2 chapters (out of 5) from the
> booklet, and expand on them? And say, among the list of 10 authors listed at
> the end of the booklet, only 2 people are relevant.
>
> For example, suppose that the first-generation booklet contained a piece
> about how CC license have been used by different artists and creators. The
> text was a derivative work of another person's piece (CC-by'ed), and that
> author is not part of the booklet project. Now his piece is completely
> dropped from the "alternative version," but the attribution would still
> remain because the authors of the alternative version do not know the
> details of whose works were in which chapters.
>
> Or, by any chance, the copyright information of the booklet team and that of
> the source materials are treated differently?

I can suggest 2 solutions:

1. a sort of tree, like

<Last author, work>
<Previous author, work>
<Previous author, work>
<Pre-previous author, work>
<Pre-previous author, work>
<Previous author, work>
<Last author, work>

2. to cite only the works you have modified directly. Other authors and
works can be found on the works you have modified. I prefer this, because
it's easier and faster... finally, bibliographies have worked in this way
for centuries... This can be the basic information that everyone MUST
include, free to enrich them.
I'm curious to hear your opinions :-)