cc-licenses - fitting a license into a small space

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Erik Ostrom" <eostrom AT drowning.org>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: fitting a license into a small space
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:26:30 -0700

I'm about to put together a cheap CD of some of the music I've been sharing
on the web under a Creative Commons license. Since I've already said the
music is okay to copy online, I'd like to make the same statement about the
CD, and the CC license seems like the right way to do it.

So I looked at the web site to see how to do it. The thing is, "This work
is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License. To
view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/1.0/ or send a letter to Creative
Commons, 559 Nathan Abbott Way, Stanford, California 94305, USA." takes up a
lot of room in a two-page insert. It'd be by far the longest piece of text
on the page. So I'm leaning toward not doing that.

What I'm thinking about doing instead is including the "some rights
reserved" license mark and enough information for people in the know to
figure out which license I'm using (i.e., "by-nc/1.0"). This isn't enough
to inform people about what they're actually allowed to do, but it gets the
logo out there a little more and it gives enough hints for a curious person
with a search engine to learn more. And it does no harm, I think.

Is this reasonable? I know the license mark is a trademarked image, and I
don't want to use it in vain.

--Erik Ostrom
eostrom AT drowning.org